LeggNets Digital Capture

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

These Are Changing Times for the Magazine Industry


Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 70-200 f/4L lens - 1/125 second, f/5, ISO 100

Today's images are ones I shot last month for a regional magazine. The portraits are of Kinetic Artist Andrew Smith and were taken in his studio in Lehi, Utah. The assignment I was given from the magazine was to create a portrait of Andrew within his studio. The image was to run full-page accompanying the feature article about him and his artwork.

The reason I am posting the images today is that I recently found out that the article will not run in the magazine. The magazine is shifting from a quarterly to biannual publication schedule and has canceled the next issue. While I don't know all the details on what precipitated this change, I can only assume that it is a combination of the current economic situation affecting advertising dollars combined with the ever-present shift of readers from print to online sources.

Magazine Shoot - Kinetic Artist Portrait
Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 24-105 f/4L lens - 1/125 second, f/4, ISO 100

Another indication that we will be seeing more-and-more publications cutting back or eliminating their print edition is a blog I follow in my RSS reader. It is called Magazine Death Pool and chronicles print magazines shuttering their operations. I am sad to say that the blog reports of several magazines a week shutting down.

Even though I will still be paid for the assignment, I am disappointed that Andrew's story will not be published. It was a pleasure to meet him and hear about the extremely creative kinetic sculptures that he creates.

On the photography side of things, here is a quick behind-the-scenes image I shot to show the environment I was working in while creating Andrew's portrait.

Artist Shoot - Behind the Scenes


3 Comments:

Blogger The Peeps said...

Great portraits. Sucks about the issue. Hope you're still getting paid for your work. Will they use it in the biannual issue? Good luck

March 04, 2009  
Blogger Jeremy Stockwell said...

Ditto, Rich. I also had a photo selected to appear in a magazine and was recently contacted to inform that the publication wouldn't run as planned.

Glad to hear that you got paid for your work anyway, but, like you said, it's a bummer about the article. He looks like a fascinating artist.

March 06, 2009  
Blogger Sam said...

I know Andrew. He used to be represented by my friend Darrell Erdmann at the Chroma Gallery in Sugar House. Great portraits Rich.

March 06, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home