LeggNets Digital Capture

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Blogging Motivation


When I began this blog back in 2005, it marked my return to the photography world. I had been out of it since selling my film gear in the mid nineties. It has been a fun journey over the past three years and I look forward to keeping it going well into the future. I'm frequently asked why I do it. Since the ads on the blog only generate around $15 a month, it's not for the money. My answer would be that of the 1,500 or so daily readers (via site visits and RSS), I hope that maybe I can encourage a few readers with my photos and occasional writing.

Yesterday was a day for confirmation. Within 30 minutes of each other, I received two separate emails from blog readers. These letters both motivated and encouraged me so I thought I'd share them here today:

Email #1

The first time I saw your blog was when you had the light bulb that was burning. I bookmarked it immediately and read through all of your older posts.

I emailed you when I was buying my first DSLR and took your advice and ended up with a 30D. I watched you grow as a professional photographer and realized I could do the same thing. I dropped out of college and pursued my dream. Four months later I talked my way into a position as an assistant for a wedding photographer and really started learning the trade.

I'm now the second shooter at all the weddings and soon to be leading my own second shooter. Recently I got accepted for a stock agency and am building up my catalog. I'm still working my day job as a graphic designer, but am slowly fading out of that and focusing on photography full time. I catch myself thinking about ideas for stock while I'm driving and looking at ads and products differently to help me think of things to shoot.

I wanted to say thanks for the blog, the inspiration, and the ideas. I still read your blog every day as it gives me a different perspective on things sometimes and motivates me to sell more stock. Keep up the good work


Email #2

Hi Rich

I LOVED your recent story about the spooky image of your daughter being chosen for movie image. Actually I really liked that image at Halloween and thought it was a 2008 image.

I admire your success and again such a good inspiration, cause I think it's pretty difficult figuring out the secrets and acceptance tricks here at istock...but I love stories like yours to keep my faith!

I sent that story to my husband, neighbors and friends that are all supporting my istock path.

Keep it up! and Thanks!


I guess the moral of the story is that you never know how your endeavors, whether big or small, can affect others. Maybe we should all take a moment today and write an email to someone that has encouraged us.

Just a thought...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Post,

They don't come too often to my site, but when I get an email saying "thanks", it feels really, really good.

Pay it Forward? Too right!

Cheers, Rob.

November 13, 2008  
Blogger JohnnySewell said...

Rich I will say thanks too. I find your writing and photography not only good but inspiring. I am another with a full time job who is trying to get learn more and more about photography. And thanks to all of the good teachers it is coming together slowly but surely.

Just wish I was closer to SLC.

November 14, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home