LeggNets Digital Capture

Saturday, November 29, 2008

10 Reasons Why I Shop at Pictureline and You Should Too


(photo by Paul Rohde, Canon 5D Mark II)

In Salt Lake City we are blessed to have a locally owned camera store, Pictureline, that is here to serve the local photographers. Here are ten reasons in no particular order that I support this business and you should too:

Locally Owned
Pictureline is locally owned and operated. You can walk in just about anytime and speak directly with the owner, Jens Nielsen. Your dollars spent at Pictureline are staying within the community.

They Receive Great Manufacturer Support
What better example of this than the fact that Pictureline was one of the first (if not THE first) retailer in the U.S. to have the Canon 5D Mark II in stock. They move a large amount of product and appear to have great connections within the manufacturers.

They Give Back
Pictureline's annual event, Digitalfest, is one example of their giving back to the photographers they serve. This year's keynote speakers of Sam Abell and Julianne Kost were fantastic. The event was free to customers. Additionally they offer free classes through their Digital U training program. These classes are aimed at photographers of all skill levels.

Non-Commission Sales People
I have never felt like I was being pressured into buying something. The sales staff has always been more concerned in what would fit my needs rather than the price of the equipment.

They Treat Their Employees Well
As evidenced by the long-time employees at the store, the staff appears to truly enjoy working there. Turnover seems to be pretty low. This means that there are always familiar faces ready to serve.

Personalized Service
The best example of this was when my 70+ year old mother was in town last Christmas. She went into Pictureline by herself to pick up a gift for me (what a nice mother!). She has since raved numerous times about how well she was treated. The young lady who helped her took all the time to answer her questions and make sure she was getting what she needed.

They Stand Behind What They Sell
They recently replaced an out-of-warranty piece of equipment for me without even being asked. I was talking with them about purchasing a replacement, and they asked why. When I told them that it had died, they stepped up and replaced it.

Rentals
They provide a rental service. If I need an additional piece of gear for a shoot, I know that I can make a call and have it reserved. I have rented large lenses (400mm+) and additional Pocket Wizards.

Great Website
The Pictureline.com website not only has great up-to-the-second inventory info, it has a community section as well. I know that if I sign up to be notified when a piece of equipment comes in stock that I will get an automated email the minute it is available. In the community section, they have a free Directory in which photographers can feature a bio and samples of their work.

Berkley
Berkley is my main contact. He is the sales person I have depended on for a few years now. I know that he will do what it takes to help me out. He has gone out of his way on more than one occasion to find a certain piece of equipment for me. The best part is that I was treated the same way from him when I first went into the store and he didn't know me at all.

I'm sure that there are many other reasons I could come up with. In a recent conversation with Scott Bourne of This Week in Photography, I was telling Scott about Pictureline. He said something that I have heard from many photographers - that locally owned stores that cater to photographers are quickly disappearing in our country. If we want this type of store to stick around, then we need to support them.

p.s. Pictureline neither supports this site or gives me any special deals. I am a fan of their business simply because of the great service I have received from them over the years.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

With standards of customer service lacking in many stores, it's always good to hear about service that makes people want to come back.

Great customer service means customers will continue coming back, and they'll recommend the place to their friends/colleagues/acquaintances, and in this case, blog readers ;-)

Too bad I'm so far away (in Australia), but if I was a local, I'd definitely be checking Pictureline after Rich's comments!

November 29, 2008  
Blogger Dornoff Photography said...

Thanks Rich for letting us know about Picturline. I only heard the name mentioned but was not familiar with them but I will be checking them out the next time I need things.

Much rather go there than spend dollars at some stores that will remain nameless that get billions in hidden government subsidies.

November 30, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you I've had a link to their store on the front page of my web site for about 7 years, because THEY ARE THAT GOOD!

PS. Congratulations on your new 5d Mark II, that was a long hard wait for you I think, but I'm sure it was worth it.

November 30, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah they easily beat any of the camera stores here in Las Vegas. I either order it from them over the internet or wait until I travel to Salt Lake to buy something now.

Also somehow the link to This Week In Photography got messed up.

November 30, 2008  
Blogger jkiel said...

I can't agree more, Ken's my man there, and he always goes above and beyond to find what I need, answer questions, etc.! Nice shoutout, well deserved!

December 01, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I to really wanted to support Pictureline because they are a local business, until my recent experience with them.

My camera needed to be sent in to Canon for some repairs that were suppose to take 3 to 4 weeks max. It has now been 6 weeks that I have been out of work and out of my camera for a school class I had signed up for. Pictureline can't even tell me for sure where my camera is. There best guess is that it was accidentally sent to a address in New York.

They continue to assure me that it will be here this week, but I have heard that for 3 weeks now. I have lost confidence in them and it is a real shame because I had thought so highly of them.

December 01, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of Pictureline. Recently, one of my lenses lost the autofocus motor. Pictureline handled all the shipping and messing with customer support at Nikon to get it fixed for me and back into my hands at no cost to me.

I just wish they were open a little later in the evening. I've had to run to Inkley's a few times because Pictureline closed too soon.

December 03, 2008  
Blogger Sam said...

I have never enjoyed shopping at Picturline. As someone who has worked in retail stores for 4 years I understand a thing or two about customer service. When I shop at Pictureline I feel unwelcome, the sales people aren't friendly, and I'm afraid to ask to handle a camera or see a lens I'm interested in. There are definitely some friendly people working there but other employees have been less than helpful. I only go to Pictureline to buy something if I have no other option.

Now, some of you may know I work for Pixels Foto + Frame in Sandy. Working there I can't tell you how many people have come into our store and complained about Pictureline. Their complaints are ALWAYS about poor customer service. I'm not saying everyone loves Pixels or even trying to plug my store. But rather I wanted to give you some context for where and how I've received this feedback on Pictureline. Many times I've had customers tell me that they will never shop at Pictureline again because of the bad experience they'd had there. And on a more personal note, all of my friends feel exactly the same way.

December 07, 2008  
Blogger Jeremy said...

Never made it up to Pictureline in person, I usually go to Allen's which is a little closer to home (Provo) but I am a member of their community and it is always good to hear about these positive experiences. I know Pictureline isn't giving you any kickbacks Legg - but after that great write up they should!

December 08, 2008  
Blogger dterryphotography said...

I've only had one bad experience in all of my years of dealing with Pictureline (a lens that was accidentally double-booked, and they did their best to try to make up for it).

In all other respects, they have been extremely helpful, courteous and in several cases gone beyond the call of duty.

I agree wholeheartedly with Eric's comment about how they have handled the return and fixing of several of my pieces of equipment.

But most recent of all, I need to say this:

I originally ordered the Canon Mark 5D Mark II from Adorama and put a reserve on the same camera at Pictureline at the same time. Pictureline had the camera the very day it was released! Adorama didn't even start shipping until a week later. (I canceled the Adorama order for that very reason)

Adorama still doesn't have the grip for the 5D II while Pictureline has had theirs for a week. I just canceled that order too and will pick one up from Pictureline shortly.

I never realized how big and important Pictureline was until now.

Looks like I'm going to be sending more of my business Pictureline's way from now on!

December 08, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home