LeggNets Digital Capture

Monday, November 24, 2008

Life on the Street - Stock Photo Shoot


One of the photo shoots I did this past weekend was a session portraying a homeless couple. My goal was to create a series of realistic images to be added to my stock photo portfolio.

In the images I had the models dress in several layers of well worn clothing. To further perpetuate the stereotype, I have them a shopping cart filled with belongings. Harley and Diane agreed to model and did an exceptional job in preparing the wardrobe. I was fortunate enough to come across an abandoned shopping cart in a vacant field last month and picked it up in preparation.

For the location, I found a vacant building in an older part of Salt Lake City. This locale suited the purpose extremely well. Parking was close, it had afternoon shade and the sidewalk was a mix of old bricks and smooth concrete.

The primary light source was natural light with fill being provided by an off-camera speedlight shooting through a white umbrella. The off camera light was being triggered via IR from an on-camera speedlight. I shot in Aperture Priority with the fill light set on TTL at an exposure compensation factor of between -2/3 to -1 1/3 f/stop.

Street Life

I haven't completed editing the series, but so far I am extremely pleased with the results. The samples shown here have quite a bit more editing/effects than I will apply to the final stock images, but I wanted to give a bit more "edge" to them to see how they would look.

With the current state of the global economy, I have hope that these images will unfortunately be good sellers.

Canon 5D, Canon 24-105 f/4L lens - 1/50 second, f/4, ISO 100

4 Comments:

Blogger Jeremy Hall said...

I remember you talking about this shoot, and I have to say it turned out very well! Harley and Diane really really decked out for the part! Good to have friends willing to model like this!

November 24, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great lighting and finish.

One minor point - those well-worn clothes are noticeably clean.

November 24, 2008  
Blogger Debbi_in_California said...

Excellent series and thanks for the lighting details!
Debbi

November 24, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like the concept, and I think from a photographic point of view, you nailed it with technique and post processing. My only critique would be - the clothing is well worn, but clean. The bottoms of the jeans around the boots, the knees and hips of the jeans should be dirty, as dirty as the streets you are showing them to be sleeping on.

As a photographer, the other thing I am always looking at when shooting models is hands, their hands are way too clean to have been on the streets for any period of time.

November 26, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home