LeggNets Digital Capture

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Canon 24-105, 5D Mark II and Sharp Image Results

100% Crop Sharpness Example

When it comes to making a quality photograph, focus is near the top of the list for requirements. Like any rule, there are always exceptions but the general reaction for the human mind when looking at an out of focus image is that something is not right and it feels uncomfortable.

In stock photography, sharp focus is even more important and is an absolute necessity. While a portrait can get by being a bit "soft", in the ultra-competitive world of stock images this just won't fliy.

With this being said, I have to say that I have been blown away at the sharpness results I am receiving with my current camera/lens combo. The 5D Mark II paired with the 24-105 f/4L IS lens have proved to be a great duo. I was pleased with the focus I was able to achieve with the lens on the original 5D, but the results I get now are even better.

I have read on the Internet and heard from some photographers that the 24-105 is not a great lens as far as sharpness is concerned. No less than the self-proclaimed "World's Top Selling Microstock Photographer" Yuri Arcurs stated recently on his blog that this lens is not sharp enough below f/9 for stock photography. This has not been my experience.

Today's sample image is from a recent stock shoot I did in my studio. The enlarged portion of the shot is a 100% crop of Emily's right eye. Since I needed a narrow depth-of-field to sufficiently blur the text on the book, I used a near wide-open aperture of 4.5. Note the detail in the eyelashes and the skin below the eye. Also notice that this was not an extreme close-up image, but a fairly wide head/shoulders capture. This eye is definitely sharp enough for my needs.

One more thing to add is the technique I use to achieve focus. Since the majority of my photography involves pre-set models and not rapid-fire shooting, I don't need an ultra-fast focus system. I have my 5D bodies set for a "center only" focus point. When shooting, I put this point on the line between color and white on the model's near eye and lock in focus. Once I have this focus, I recompose and release the shutter. I have also taken to using a monopod in nearly all my shooting to further minimize the effect of camera-shake on the image.

The combination of this technique, a 5D Mark II and the 24-105 f/4L serve me well. What about you? What techniques/equipment do you find works best?

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger Harley Pebley said...

I was talking with someone recently (don't remember exactly, possibly BWJ) and he mentioned sending a lens in for service and getting it back with better sharpness than new, suggesting perhaps Canon's production QA is not quite up to snuff. Possibly this is the reason you have success whereas Yuri doesn't; simply differences in the calibration of the specific lenses.

January 14, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard that when you do that you change the plane of focus (I can't find the image) and that also takes away sharpness. it's good enough for me but it does remove a bit of sharpness, so I figured I would mention it. I think it matters more the more angle you change.

January 14, 2009  
Blogger Harley Pebley said...

Conner, I think something like this is what you're referring to?

January 14, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@Conner

That's a great point. I will switch to a side focus point if I'm going to be doing a lot of vertical shots of models so that I can minimize the amount of change of the focal plane.

January 14, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you. As a Leica shooter, I'm pretty happy with my 24-105 L on my 5d. Its a zoom, so I don't expect it to perform like my Summicrons, but its close.

January 14, 2009  
Blogger Lincoln Palmer said...

I'm using the same combo and I have to say I agree completely. Unfortunately my lack of talent often overrides the amazing equipment.

January 14, 2009  
Blogger Simon said...

My copy was good but not great - I've just changed to Nikon and find their new 24-70mm f2.8 to be far sharper, and has much less CA. My Canon 70-200 f2.8IS and 50mm f1.4 were much better lenses in every way to the 24-105. BTW mine was an early copy on a 20D. I think you have a better copy of the lens, Rich - your shots look great.

January 15, 2009  
Blogger Debbi_in_California said...

I also choose the center focus point, half press the shutter, and recompose while still holding the half press, then push after I like what I see in the viewfinder. My shots seem to be pretty darn sharp, as do your Rich. I am also using the same camera/lens combo as you Rich. Interesting article though.

What does 100% crop mean? To me, it means the entire image of the girls and the eye alone would not be a 100% crop.
Debbi

January 15, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

re: 100% crop

What it means is that the eye close-up is cropped out of the full frame and displayed actual size to show what the image looks like when viewed at 100%, as opposed to being downsized.

January 15, 2009  
Blogger Debbi_in_California said...

Thank you!
Debbi

January 15, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why does the image of the girl look soft compared to the enlarged eyeball ?

January 10, 2010  
Anonymous LeggNet said...

Probably because you're looking at a low-resolution 72 dpi web version of the shot.

January 10, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

even the one it links to on Flickr looks that way and its exif saays 300dpi

Just curious is all

January 10, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home