LeggNets Digital Capture

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Someone to Watch Over Me


I took this photograph last week on a ridge overlooking Lehi, Utah. I found the location a few days earlier and thought it would make a nice location to try some long exposure night shots. Even though I am not entirely pleased with how this image turned out, I thought it was worth sharing how it was done.

The shadowy figure looking over the city was created entirely in camera with a simple technique. I set the exposure for a shutter speed of ten seconds and put the camera into self-timer mode. I started the timer and took a stance in front of the camera standing as still as possible. Once I heard the shutter open, I counted to five and then quickly exited the frame. The result is the transparent outline of my body in the image.

This technique is similar to the way I created the Weeping Angels image last year (though I like that result MUCH better).

Canon 5D, Canon 24-105 f/4L lens - 10 seconds, f/4, ISO 100

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Genevieve Netz said...

I like it. It's a memorable image.

October 16, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the concept!
Ricci

October 16, 2007  
Blogger Hao Ran said...

It gives another feeling, much more different than the Weeping Angels...

It gives me a picture of some sort of evil forces are overtaking the city...just like comics. Haha.

October 17, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home