LeggNets Digital Capture

Sunday, March 11, 2007

My Post Processing Technique


I have received a couple of questions about my technique in processing images. To assist in showing how I do it, I thought I'd detail the steps I took in processing a photo such as the one posted yesterday. This photo was taken on the spur-of-the-moment when Michelle walked by. I was playing with a soft-box and asked her to stop and pose for the shot. I am self taught in all of my post-processing so I am sure that the 'pros' have better techniques, but this is what works for me.

ORIGINAL IMAGE

Here is the original image after doing the RAW conversion from the camera file:

Original


STEP ONE

I use the CLONE tool to remove her necklace, earring holes, skin blemishes and background distractions.

Step 1


STEP TWO

I apply noise reduction, slight sharpening (via Unsharp Mask) and crop the image.

Step 2


STEP THREE

I create a new layer from the background layer. I apply 48 pixels of GAUSSIAN BLUR to the newly created layer. I blend the new layer at 35% and mask the eyes to keep them sharp.

Step 3


STEP FOUR

I create a CHANNEL MIXER layer and set to monochrome (70% red, 30% blue). Adjust brightness -5

Step 4


STEP FIVE

I merge my background layers, then create a duplicate of the background. I adjust brightness to -25 then mask out face (this darkens the background).

Step 5


STEP SIX - COMPLETE

I merge the background layers then create a new copy of background. I apply 1.5 pixels of GAUSSIAN BLUR (smooth the skin more). I then mask out eyes to keep them sharp. Add photo filter (Sepia, 10%), Burn/dodge eye to make it more dramatic

Step 6 - Complete

As I said earlier, this is the process that works for me. I find as I continue to advance in post-processing that I am constantly finding new and improved techniques. If you've got some pointers, please don't hesitate to share.

Canon 5D, Canon 24-105 f/4L - 1/125 second, f/22, ISO 100

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done. Have you tried the Black & White filter on CS3? I used to use the channel mixer a lot, but I've put it to the wayside since the B&W filter came along. It just gives you a little more control over the tones, but it's handy overall.

When I'm doing black & white, I'll usually throw in a couple of low-fill blends to give the photo a little more depth. But all this depends on the photo and the feel you're going for. Not sure if it would work well in this one.

I think you've done a great job with this photo -- real smooth with soft transitions, and the lighting is just great! Nice work, and thanks for sharing.

March 10, 2007  
Blogger Harley Pebley said...

Thanks for sharing.

>STEP TWO
>
> I apply ... slight sharpening ...

I've heard from several places that sharpening should be the last step. Not sure why; never heard a explanation. Have you heard this or know why?

> slight sharpening (via Unsharp Mask)

Is Adobe taking lessons from Microsoft? (Sounds like clicking the Start button to shutdown the computer.) ;-)

March 10, 2007  
Blogger LeggNet said...

Good catch on the sharpening, Harley. The reason I did it on that step was that I was going to be creating blurred layers overtop and merging and/or masking. This was the last thing I was going to be doing on that particular layer.

Use the unsharp tool to sharpen... yeah, I never quite got that either.

March 10, 2007  
Blogger Bryan Catherman said...

Wow, that's cool.

March 11, 2007  
Blogger Jen said...

Thanks for sharing your technique! I like the effect it has. I'm always looking for a good B&W conversion. I hate relying on actions for everything.

March 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home