LeggNets Digital Capture

Thursday, January 29, 2009

My New Year's Resolution: Using a Monopod

Rich Legg, Photographer
image by Scott Jarvie

One of my photography resolutions for the new year was to use a monopod for the majority of my shooting. The reason is quite simple: to create sharper images.

Two photographers whose work I greatly admire, Kenneth Linge and Yuri Arcurs, use a monopod the majority of the time. Kenneth (international award winning wedding/portrait photographer) uses his mostly while shooting outdoor portraits with a 70-200 lens using available light, and Yuri (one of the top selling stock photographers in the world) uses his for all his commercial work. The final thing that pushed me over the edge to begin using this piece of equipment was this video that Yuri posted on his blog:



The statement that Yuri makes in the video that you don't want to be throwing out your #1 pick when selecting images because of blur hit home with me. Having absolute perfect focus on stock photography is critical, and I have had to often discard an image because of slight camera shake.

Kenneth Linge's New Blog
Kenneth Linge using his monopod

One thing that has happened since I have begun with the monopod is that I have received numerous requests about the equipment I am using. My setup is very similar to the one Yuri describes in the video. The great part is that I already had most of the pieces and only had to add the relatively inexpensive monopod to complete my kit. And guess what? My mother knew what I wanted thanks to Michelle and I found it under the tree on Christmas morning (Thanks mom!).

Here are the pieces I have assembled for my setup:

Monopod: Manfrotto 334B Automatic Monopod
Head: Manfrotto 488RC2 Ball Head
Bracket: Custom Brackets QRS-H2 rotating bracket

For the bracket, I use the QRS-H2 which normally has a flash mount. I have removed the mount (simple to do using an allen wrench) for everyday use. The reason I use this bracket versus the more compact Digital PRO-SV is twofold. The first reason is that I already had this bracket (hey, I saved +$200), and the second reason is that I can attach the flash mounting arm if I am shooting in a scenario where I need the strobe.

I have now used this setup for a half-dozen shoots and must say that it is becoming a very natural part of my work. I find that after a rather brief adjustment period, I don't feel as though it is an inconvenience at all to use. In fact, I think it has made it easier for me to shoot. And the final result, I have absolutely noticed that I have discarded fewer images, both in-studio and outdoors, for camera shake.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Debbi_in_California said...

Do you switch off the IS when using it?
Debbi

January 29, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Do you switch off the IS when using it?"

Since the camera is not 100% without movement on the monopod, I leave IS on.

January 29, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post Rich. Thanks for the retweet of my own Monopod post:

To Monopod or Not to Monopod, That is the Question

I wanted to provide my own point of view with regards to monopods. My take is that it really depends on the type of photography, and even then specifically to those with the longer, heavier glass. For the amateur photographer who focuses on portraits or lifestyle etc. I'm not sure a monopod would be quite as useful. Your thoughts?

January 29, 2009  
Blogger Debbi_in_California said...

Ariston, Since Rich is mostly about 'stock images' I think that is what he is talking about.
Just my point of view.
Thanks Rich
Debbi

January 29, 2009  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yuri probably uses the monopod with his Hassi + no IS lenses and I am sure it serves him greatly.

I am wondering if it makes any sense to have it if you already have IS lenses like 24-105 and 70-200.

It will probably help a bit, but not much?

January 29, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It will probably help a bit, but not much?

I can show plenty of examples of images that I have taken thate are not tack sharp due to camera shake. These shots look okay at a normal view, but at 100% view they are not sharp enough for stock work.

These images are taken with a 24-105 f/4L IS lens and studio lighting. They are typically shot in areas with fairly high (within a stop or two of exposure) available light.

This is why I'm using the mono.

January 29, 2009  
Blogger JohnnySewell said...

So if I understand correctly, with the 24-105 IS on the 5D, at 1/125 and F8 or F11 with studio lights you are still seeing some images that don't come out sharp enough for your stock work.

I've done simple portrait work with that combination but probably have had no one as critical look at the images.

I use the monopod some but not nearly as much as I should from what you and Chase are saying.

Johnny

February 02, 2009  
Blogger Unknown said...

Rich, do you happen to know how good the h2 is over the 35-sv? Ive been trying to find reviews on the 35-sv bracket and cant seem to find any. I dont know if it is strong enough to hold my canon 1dmk2 with a 70-200 f2.8, but im interested because its a lot cheaper.

August 24, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you using the lens mount on the rotating bracket ? If so how did you mount it? I have the custom bracket rotating bracket but I can seem to get the cmp to mount the bracket properly when attached to the lens mount.

September 16, 2009  
Blogger Garrett said...

Wonderful and helpful post, Rich! Thank you for all of your contributions!

December 06, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home