LeggNets Digital Capture

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Mpix.com - Turning Frowns Upside Down


I use the online photo lab Mpix.com for my photo printing needs. I first tried them a few years ago after reading a comparison of online labs in a photography magazine and saw that they were rated the best overall. I have been very pleased with their quality and service. I've often said that it is more convenient for me to use Mpix and have the images overnight shipped (for a very low flat rate) to my home rather than driving to a local lab.

Earlier this month my faith in Mpix was put to a test. I arrived home to find a FedEx package waiting for me that was in pretty bad condition. It's not an exaggeration to say that the box was literally "Run Over". Knowing that the package contained a 16x24 and 11x14 mounted on canvas (in addition to a lot of smaller prints), saying that I was alarmed is an understatement. Opening the box confirmed my fear. Both of the mounted images were goners, though all of the unmounted prints survived.

Since my client was anxiously awaiting the order, I quickly sent an email to customerservice@mpix.com hoping for the best. To my surprise, I received a reply in less than 5 minutes. Without hesitation, Matt at Mpix offered to reprint the entire order and overnight me the replacements. He didn't ask for proof or give me any hassle at all. He simply said he was sorry and that he would take care of it.

This is the kind of service I want to receive from companies I frequent. Accidents and mistakes will happen. When they do, it is nice to have them quickly resolved. This potential relationship damaging incident actually served to further increase my loyalty to Mpix. Nice job, Matt & Mpix.

9 Comments:

Blogger Jerry Deese said...

I had a similar experience with Adorama and an order of 11x14s that arrived pretty bent and dinged up.

With them, I actually had to take photos of the damaged prints, the box, and send it all to them. They printed my replacements right away and sent them out.

The fact that there was not a client waiting on these was my only saving grace. The process of providing proof and then waiting for new prints to be shipped would have caused some serious issues otherwise.

MPix is good from what I have heard and read. Just placed an order for some cards with them last night.

December 30, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mpix is just awesome. I love being able to drop ship orders to clients and not have to worry about delivery. And their new customer packaging makes presentation to the client very nice. I am not surprised by Rich's experience. I talked to several of the Mpix folks at Photoshop World in Vegas last Sept and they clearly are "customer oriented." it is refreshing in this day and age of poor customer service.

December 30, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a very similar experience about a year ago when ordering metallic prints. They showed up with the corners all dinged, so I sent an email to them. 20 minutes later Matt replied to the email and no questions asked said they would be replaced.

90 minutes later I had a tracking number, 2 days later the prints where here. Great company.

December 30, 2008  
Blogger Alvaro MAM said...

Wow, that is service, pity they don't work in Europe!

December 30, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've had similar experiences with Mpix. I received a print that looked like water has spilled on it. They immediately sent me a replacement with no questions asked. I switched from Smug Mug to Zenfolio purely because Zenfolio uses Mpix as their printer. I love the quality of the prints and the variety of products.

December 30, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very similar experience. One order was missing prints, a second was damaged. Both times MPix responded to my email in what felt like 30 seconds saying a second printing was on its way. No questions asked.

They are completely worth the extra cost.

December 30, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting, Rich! I'll pass this on to Matt and the customer service team. They'll appreciate the feedback!

December 30, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rich,
Thanks so much for the kind words. We really love hearing everyone's Mpix experience.

December 30, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always had great success with MPIX. Glad they were able to come through!

Scott

December 30, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home