LeggNets Digital Capture

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Photowalking: The People You Meet


One of the cool things about being involved in a Photowalking Utah event is the people you meet. When folks see a large group of photographers walking down the street they often ask us what we're doing. I love to use this opportunity to get to chat with the people for a minute and then take their photo. Last Saturday's event in Ogden was no exception.

During our walk through the historic downtown area we ran into Tony and his gang. Tony owns one of the soon-to-be-gone bars on 25th street and was more than willing to share his story. He was one of the friendliest people I've met while photographing and was a pleasure to shoot.

Tony

After the walk around the downtown area, a few of us stuck around at the Union Pacific depot for an impromptu strobist session. One of the photographers struck up some conversation with a pair of interesting young men and before we knew it they were modeling for us. They were waiting to hop a train (literally) to Idaho and thought it'd be cool to get their picture taken.

On the top image of Joseph, I purposely created a hard look with both the lighting and processing. I wanted to show the roughness of Joe's character while still highlighting his striking blue eyes.

I used a similar though less edgy look for Joseph's traveling companion Jake. As I photographed him he was holding onto his cigarette to get every last bit of goodness(?) out of it and I wanted to capture that in the image.

Jake

Both Joseph and Jake made great models. I would love to meet up with them again and pay them to do some stock modeling for me. I think that together we could create some dramatic images.

Joseph and Jake

8 Comments:

Blogger calanan said...

Very nice work, I especially like the portrait of Tony.

August 20, 2008  
Blogger t said...

man, that's awesome. so why is Tony's bar a "soon-to-be-gone" bar? is it like here in Atlanta where you've got all these upscale condos being built in place of them?

August 20, 2008  
Blogger  said...

Your picture, which was properly credited {and had a link to your site}, has been removed from my blog. I find it very inappropriate that you would post an ill-mannered comment on my wedding blog, rather than contact me directly since my email address is noted. In any case, every photographer who has been credited for their work has given me a response of thanks. It doesn't make sense for a photographer to no want publicity - especially on one of the most visited Atlanta wedding blogs, and with my connections in the industry.

August 20, 2008  
Blogger Jeremy Hall said...

@Jessica - You really need to read up on usage rights. If a site says "Photographs and text copyright, all rights reserved, reproduction or redistribution in any form without prior written permission is strictly prohibited" I think that is fairly clear.

Taking an indignant approach to defending yourself just makes you look stupid.

Look carefully for "creative commons" licensed photos for your blog posts in the future and you will be finding photogs that don't mind their photos being used, typically for non-commercial purposes.

August 21, 2008  
Blogger J said...

I had great time at the photowalk, and Joseph and Jake were great models to end the night with.

August 21, 2008  
Blogger Alan said...

@jeremy: You tell her! :)

Now I'm curious what Rich posted on her blog.

August 22, 2008  
Blogger LeggNet said...

Here is the "ill-mannered" comment I left:

"It is considered bad etiquette (not to mention illegal) to use copyrighted images without first obtaining the photographers permission. I would have preferred to be asked before you copied my image."

Pretty tame, I must say

August 22, 2008  
Blogger Harley Pebley said...

Ran across this today on ProBlogger.com, thought it was timely:

Respect Third-Party Graphic Content

Most bloggers like to juice up their posts and pages with attractive graphics and photos. In my experience reading blogs, photos are used primarily for aesthetics and not for further educating the reader about the subject matter of the post. That immediately takes away the “fair use” argument. This means that if you import third-party photos or other graphics into your blog, be 100% sure that it is public domain material. If it is not, it may be available to you under a creative commons license, but you must use the material as specified in the license. Usually this means including an author attribution and a link back to the owner. Also, remember that just because a photo or graphic is published on the web without a copyright notice, it does not mean that it is public domain. Similarly, you cannot copy third-party material (graphics or text), modify it, then use it as if you owned it. That is called a derivative work and under the law, only the copyright owner has the right to do that.

August 22, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home