LeggNets Digital Capture

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Low Earth Orbit


The annual Riverton Town Days have begun in my city and with that comes the amusement rides. I grabbed my tripod and headed over just before closing last night to catch a few time exposures.

The method I use for this type of shot is simple and straightforward. I put my camera on APERTURE PRIORITY mode (AV on a Canon) and then stop the lens down to its smallest aperture. With the camera on a tripod I compose the shot and trigger it with a remote release, letting the camera's auto function handle both focus and shutter speed. A low ISO will ensure a longer shutter speed.

This technique permits me to be fairly mobile, not staying in one place too long. I don't like to draw too much attention to myself when photographing in a crowded area and keeping on the move helps.

Canon 5D, Canon 24-105 f/4L lens - 4 seconds, f/22, ISO 100

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

very cool picture- love these long exposure shots- looks just brilliant :-)

July 03, 2007  
Blogger Bryan Catherman said...

That ride looks like it's going light speed!

I often wonder what the people around you think. I saw a guy at the zoo with about 30 pounds of camera and light equipment. I thought maybe he had some professional job to do, but maybe he was just a serous photographer. (It was funny when he'd move the little hand-held light meter over by the rhino, take a reading, and then get behind his camera and tripod. As soon as he was ready to snap the photo, the rhino would lumber forward or back about 10 feet. The guy, looking frustrated, would turn his tripod toward the new location and then zip over with his light meter. As he moved back to the camera, the rhino moved again. It happened a couple times. I guess these zoo animals have to do something for fun.)

July 03, 2007  
Blogger Genevieve Netz said...

Great shot. I love the ribbons of light, and the name of the ride is perfect.

July 09, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home