LeggNets Digital Capture

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Filling with Flash


Today's capture is an example of using fill light to add to a photo. While photographing at an abandoned farm, I came across this interesting weed and shot it against the setting sun. If I had taken the shot without the fill light, the picture would just be a black silhouette. The addition of the flash allowed much more of the weed's detail to be seen.

My typical exposure settings for using a fill flash in daylight is to adjust my strobe (a Canon 430EX) to an exposure setting of negative 2/3 f-stop. This allows shadow areas to be illuminated without making the shot look like a flash was used.

Canon 5D, Canon 24-105 f/4L lens - 1/8000 second, f/4, ISO 100

2 Comments:

Blogger Bryan Catherman said...

That's a great photo! How close to the subject was the camera? I ask because the background looks dark (other then the fireball behind the weed) and the stem is well lit. I'm guessing the flash was fairly close?

June 28, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice work with the flash, and creative image. I like your descrition of dust and removal below too. All too true.

June 28, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home