LeggNets Digital Capture

Friday, July 20, 2007

A Benefit of High End Camera Gear


A conversation I had yesterday at the World Eskimo Indian Olympics in Anchorage Alaska (as I sat with my family):

Lady (sternly): "Did you register at the press table?"

Me: "No"

Lady: "All press has to register"

Me: "I'm not press" (I didn't think LeggNet's Digital Capture would warrant credentials)

Lady: "You're not press??"

Me: "Nope, I'm just a guy here with my family"

Lady: "You're not going to sell these pictures are you?"

Me: "No. I'm just on vacation with my family"

Lady: "Uh... okay"

Me (a bit miffed): "Thanks. I just missed the event I wanted to see"

Lady (sarcastically): "There'll be more (walks while muttering something about my big camera)

Stranger next to me (with her point & shoot camera): "I can't believe she stood in front of me and blocked my view. I really wanted a picture of that event"

Me: "I'm sorry ma'am"
I guess this is one of the hidden benefits of shooting with nice gear, especially a long white lens on a large camera body. I don't think I'd have had the same conversation if I had been using my G7.

Canon 5D, Canon 70-200 f/4L lens - 1/160 second, f/4, ISO 1000

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is a great story and here I thought it was only us guys that have size issues.

July 20, 2007  
Blogger jkirlin said...

That's why I carry crap.

You should have told her you were the NEW media and smacked her around a little with some L Glass to soften her attitude.

This reminds me of when I go to WalMart to pick up my prints are they are ALWAYS ready for me. "What's the matter punk, these didn't look professional enough for you to refuse to print them due to copyright violations? Huh? They don't?? Don't walk away giggling! Get back here!"

July 20, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you love it when people assume!
I've found that by carrying my camera I gain more entry than when I'm not (in a music backstage sort of way)!

Oh and SLAYER RULES!!! I'm glad to see the kids in Alaska agree!

Great shot!

August 10, 2007  
Blogger Fran said...

Here, in NYC,'their' trying to change/or enforce a law that will greatly inhibit photography on the streets of NY. Hope it isn't passed.
There's a lot of controversy over it.

August 11, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Rich,

Stumbled on your site in a Google search, but glad I did. I have read many stories about the white lenses and they are all the same. Never have heard that with Nikon! What I do like seeing is the dynamic range on your 5D handled the f4.0 lens really well inside the gym. Most pro's here in Texas use the ole f2.8.

June 18, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home