LeggNets Digital Capture

Monday, May 07, 2007

Through the Viewfinder Photography


A commenter on one of my photos on Flickr suggested that I should apply a TTV Layer to this capture of an old mill I took in Salt Lake City. I read the comment and then had to admit that I didn't know what TTV photography was. A quick trip to Google and I discovered that TTV stands for "Through the Viewfinder". Here is a definition found on a Flickr group dedicated to the art:

"Through the Viewfinder photography is defined as taking a picture of any subject through the viewfinder of any camera with another camera."

The technique intrigued me. But since I didn't have the option of re-taking the photo of the mill through an old camera's viewfinder, I sought to re-create the effect in Photoshop. After a bit more searching via Flickr, I found another group - this one dedicated to images that can be used as layers to create this technique.

Once I had the viewfinder image, the rest was fairly simple. I used Photoshop's MOVE tool to drag the viewfinder image onto my original photo. I then adjusted the new viewfinder layer's blending mode to MULTIPLY. This allowed the layer with the mill photo to appear as though it is being seen through the viewfinder layer.

I am not too sure of the usefulness of this type of image, but I do think it adds a nostalgic quality to the photograph.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Harley Pebley said...

A commenter ... suggested that I should apply a TTV Layer to this capture ... I ... had to admit that I didn't know what TTV photography was.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I am not too sure of the usefulness of this type of image, but I do think it adds a nostalgic quality to the photograph.

I agree. I'm not realy wild about borders in general. It reminds me of using the old film sproket holes border.

May 07, 2007  
Blogger jkirlin said...

A commenter is now suggesting that you really get an old Medium Format camera on eBay and really do it! It'll run you about 10 bucks. You'll like it.

October 17, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The real thing is quite fun,actually. I've put together a tutorial for anyone interested in learning how to get started.

www.russmorris.com/ttv

January 12, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

where in SLC is this Old Mill? I am originally from there and can't place the picture.

thanks for your reply,

lanola

lanola@gmail.com

March 03, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was taken at This is the Place Heritage Park http://www.thisistheplace.org/

March 03, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home