LeggNets Digital Capture

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Night on the Overpass


I have been shooting quite a bit of stock photos lately for addition to my iStock portfolio. While this is mostly an enjoyable exercise, it can get a bit stale after awhile. I mean, there are just so many different angles you can shoot a credit card reader from before it gets a little mundane.

Feeling the need to spend some time outdoors being creative, I headed to a local pedestrian overpass this past Monday night with my gear. There is something therapeutic about sitting in the dark waiting for a time exposure to be captured. The sensation of being alone while literally hundreds of people pass directly below is pretty cool.

This image is one of the captures I made that night. What made this shot a bit more challenging was that the tripod had to be extended to its maximum height of over 7 feet to overcome the safety fence. This forced me to guesstimate the alignment of the shot since I couldn't look through the viewfinder. Note to self: "Next time bring something to stand on".

Overall, I give this shot a solid "B". But the feeling of hanging out in the dark on an overpass earns an "A+".

Canon 5D, Canon 24-105 f/4L IS lens - 399 seconds, f/16, ISO 50

3 Comments:

Blogger Harley Pebley said...

there are just so many different angles you can shoot a credit card reader from before it gets a little mundane.

Hey, I could bring my 5-lb sledge hammer over and we could shoot multiple angles simultaneously, only once though. :-)

Note to self: "Next time bring something to stand on".

No. What you really want is one of these.

April 26, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great shot...and you have to get out there and get that FEELING again now and then. I find myself in the same position with my journalistic photography... I love my job, but there are only so many grip-and-grin council meeting shots you can shoot before you feel as if you've lost your art... and you have to just find those moments and wallow in shooting without purpose.

April 30, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know EXACTLY how it feels! :) It doesn't seem like fun standing in the dark, but it somehow is.

I like your shot better than mine. I'll have to work on it...

September 15, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home