LeggNets Digital Capture

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Model Homes


Model Homes, originally uploaded by LeggNet.

I wasn't going to post any more of the faked miniature captures for a while, but this one turned out so good that I figured I'd show it.

While on a hillside above Herriman (Utah) yesterday taking a photo of a local pastor for a publication, I made a capture of the neighborhood below to check the lighting. In reviewing the shots later, I realized that this capture could make an interesting fake miniature.

The process in creating this type of shot is to manipulate the image in Photoshop to change the focus, lighting, color and aspect ratio in order to fool the eye as to the scale of the photograph. Sometimes it works rather well.

Here's another example using the same process.

Faked Neighborhood

I actually received the following feedback on Flickr on the above photo from someone who thought it was an actual miniature diorama.

"nobody would build real houses so close to the edge. You'd have little kids rolling off the cliff there. I like the sky, but I think you might need to re-do it -- the paint doesn't match."

The whole set can be viewed by clicking here.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bryan Catherman said...

I thought this was fake at first, but I know the area. It really messed with my head for a minute!

March 28, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

What an incredible technique. Thanks for sharing it with us.

May 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home