LeggNets Digital Capture

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Quick Tip: An ID Tag for Your Camera


Here's a quick and easy tip that could pay for itself a thousand times over.

While at a recent Photwalking Utah event, I noticed that photographer Ann Torrence had a small ID tag attached to her camera. When I asked her about it, she told me that it was a tag designed to put the owner information on pet collars in case the animal is lost. I immediately thought "What a great idea!".

I made a trip to my local PETCO store and used their machine to have a tag made for each of my cameras. I opted for the smallest version (about the size of a penny) and it is completely out of the way on the camera body. The total cost to label my gear: $12.

Now, let's just hope that if my camera is ever lost that the person who finds it is honest (fingers crossed).

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a note... Insuring your gear with an all-risk policy is pretty cheap, too. With insurance, you won't have to rely on an honest person... you'll get it back regardless.

Happened to me once already... was forced to check my gear before getting on a flight in London last year and, of course, it never arrived at my destination. And the airline's policy wouldn't reimburse for "valuables" like jewelry or camera equipment. Thanks to my insurance, I got a check for almost $6K within two weeks.

October 22, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good point, Shawn. I also have an insurance policy that covers all my gear.

October 22, 2008  
Blogger Elaine Bittencourt said...

The tag is such a great idea! thanks for sharing!

October 22, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At first I thought, what a great idea! Then I thought, well thats why I have insurance on my gear as well. I still like the tag idea though, custom stuff like this is always cool. Thanks for sharing the tip!

October 22, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a very interesting and useful idea - I think I'll have to visit my local petshop too ;-)

October 23, 2008  
Blogger Scott Smith said...

Great idea Rich, thanks for sharing. I need to get my gear tagged.

October 23, 2008  
Blogger Spikey24 said...

Two good ideas, tags and insurance. I need to sort both out. Thanks for sharing

October 24, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Probably not a good idea for all camera-owners, but one could also engrave the camera itself.

A pet-shop probably isn't equipped with the right tools, but more & more businesses do use the right cnc-equipment to perform such a job.

Just ask friends, relatives, coworkers and/or neighbourinos. Chances are big one of 'm might be able to bring you in contact with the right person already. The engraving (and setting up machinery) shouldn't require more as 10-15 minutes.

A pie, six-pack, $10-20 or some old favors should balance the costs ;-)

December 20, 2008  
Blogger Omar Kooheji said...

Insurance only goes so far, if you've not backed up your photo's you'll lose them.

January 28, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home