LeggNets Digital Capture

Friday, September 19, 2008

Canon Introduces 5D Mark II. I Save $5,000


(photo courtesy of Canon)


It is no secret to followers of my photography that my workhorse camera body is the Canon 5D. I have used this camera exclusively for about a year and a half and it has served me well. With that being said, I have felt for some time that if I am going to keep ahead-of-the-curve in my photography business that I needed to begin shooting images in the 20+ megapixel range. The biggest reason for this is that iStockphoto seems to favor larger images in searches sorted by their Best Match formula (not to mention that larger images sell for more money).

Knowing this need, I had the purchase of Canon's 1Ds Mark III 21 megapixel flagship on my goal list to obtain before the end of the year. With a price tag of nearly $8,000, this was going to be an extreme stretch to meet. That all changed this past Wednesday with Canon's introduction of the 5D Mark II.

The new 5D features the same (some say improved?) 21.1 megapixel sensor of the 1Ds at a price of over $5,000 less. It didn't take long for me to make the decision and I immediately called my friends at Pictureline and put my name down for one when they arrive. In addition to the larger sensor, all indications are the the Mark II will handle low-light shooting immensely better than its predecessor. This will allow me to use a higher ISO when shooting reflector lit portraits and/or stock images outdoors and eliminate camera shake for sharper images.

Once I begin using the Mark II as my primary body, my existing 5D (with around 40,000 images shot on it) will move into the backup role in my bag. My current backup body, a 30D, will be sold (at a good price, email me if interested).

Now, I just have to patiently wait until November for the camera to arrive.

Links: Canon's official 5D Mark II press release, 5D Mark II on DPReview.com

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you figured out how you're going to deal with those 50-60 megabyte(!) file sizes yet?

I haven't.

I plan on getting one, too, but I'm concerned about what effect it might have on my current gear.

Jack

September 19, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@Jack

Thanks for the comment. I've been working with the 5D files (12.8 mp) for some time and don't notice any performance issues with the size. I've played with a few 1DsMkIII files (21.1) and they performed about the same as my 5D shots. My production machine is a 2.33 ghz iMac with 2 gigs of RAM.

September 20, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's roughly my computer's profile, too, so maybe I'm worried for nothing.

I'll wait until you get yours and then see if you have any problems.

Thanks for the feedback!

Jack

September 20, 2008  
Blogger karla said...

WOW! Arrived here on a totally unrelated(?) google search, and as an aspiring photographer, your photos are some of the most stunning I have ever seen. Just amazing!

I'm so excited about the new Canon 5D Mark II, and high hopes for it when I bring it home with me this November. :)

Glad I've found your site. Will certainly be back to oogle your breathtaking photography.

September 28, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home