LeggNets Digital Capture

Monday, July 21, 2008

Cross Lighting In Studio


I spent some time yesterday with a couple young men in the studio. My goal going in was to shoot them with serious expressions against a dark background.

In today's image of Ryan taken during the session, I used a cross lighting type setup (diagram below). The arrangement consisted of a of a softbox camera left lighting the model's right side and a second softbox on the opposite side of the model lighting his back and left side.

Picture 6

I like the results achieved. If I were to do the shoot again, I would lower the power on the back light a small amount. Even though the detail was retained on the side of Ryan's face in the original image, I lost detail and blew out the highlights a bit in processing.

Canon 5D, Canon 24-105 f/4L lens - 1/160 second, f/4.5, ISO 100

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this effect Rich. Thanks for sharing the setup.
Is there anything you can do for separating the left edge of the hat?

July 21, 2008  
Blogger calanan said...

Very well done, Rich, always a pleasure to see your behind-the-scenes graphic, too.

I agree with your self-criticism on the light balance, maybe as Udi notes you can splash some of that distant softbox's light onto the backdrop?

July 21, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@Udi and Calandan:

Yeah, I agree about the left side of the frame needing a bit of light. I think a white reflector placed to the left of the model would have provided a subtle amount of reflection to rim the brim (hey, that rhymes!) of his hat.

July 21, 2008  
Blogger t said...

this is very informative, but one question: how did you make the diagram/illustration?

July 22, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@tucker o'brien

Thanks for the comment. I created the diagram with the web tool found at this site:

http://www.professionalsnapshots.com/PhotoDiagram/

and then made a screenshot.

-RL

July 22, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home