LeggNets Digital Capture

Monday, December 10, 2007

How soon before a "digital" camera becomes simply a "Camera"?


Since digital is now the prevailing type of camera, why do we still need to use the word digital when describing them? A decade ago when they were first coming onto the scene and film was still the primary format, it made sense. But now a film camera is a rare find.

I wonder how long it will be before people will assume a camera is digital when they hear the term "Camera". Or is this already happening? Will I then need to change the name of this website to LeggNet's Digital Capture?

Today's image is one of the first cameras I ever used. It is the Kodak Brownie my father received from his grandparents as a graduation gift in 1950. In case you can't tell, it is not digital.

Canon 30D, Canon 70-200 f/4L lens - 1/15 second, f/4, ISO 100

2 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

I was working at a middle school and towards the end of the year we had a number of kids coming in with random cameras to take pictures of their friends and they were often embarrassed by their "film cameras" (in addition to having no idea how to put film in them etc.).

I'd guess for the younger generation the change has already happened.

December 12, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, it's actually a very interesting point, I think. I hardly ever say “digital camera”. If ever. But when I talk about my camera people still often ask: “Is it digital?”

December 21, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home