LeggNets Digital Capture

Friday, June 01, 2007

Using a Strobe in Daylight


One thing I do to make my daytime captures pop a bit is use a strobe. When I do this, my goal is to add to the presentation of the subject while avoiding an unnatural appearance.

Today's featured photo of a resting swan is an example of this technique. I came across this swan recently while driving to a client's home. It was just after lunch and the sun was directly overhead creating harsh shadows. The bird was relaxing in the shade of a tree with spots of sun peaking through while the pond in the background was in full sunlight.

To get the shot I put on the longest lens I had with me (70-200 w/ 1.4x extender) and attached a strobe (Canon 430EX) to my camera. My purpose in using the strobe was threefold:

1. Fill in the shadows to create more even lighting
2. Create a Catchlight in the bird's eye
3. Add separation between the subject and the background.

To achieve these effects without making the shot seem unnaturally lit, I dialed the strobe's power setting to -1/3 f-stop from the camera's metered exposure. Doing this allowed the natural light to combine with the strobe's artificial light, creating a natural appearance to the subject while accomplishing the three objectives. The setting of -1/3 worked on this scene, but I sometimes use more or less power from the strobe on other scenes depending on the light.

Using a strobe in daylight, especially bright sunny days, can greatly enhance your shots. Play around with your flash's power settings and see what works for you.

Canon 5D, Canon 70-200 f/4L with 1.4x extender - 1/100 second, f/5.6, ISO 100

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Harley Pebley said...

Wow. 200mm + 1.4 extender would be about 280mm. I didn't realize the 430EX would throw that far.

This is a nice technique. I tried using it yesterday in similar cicrumsances as this, but it wasn't working too well with my small flashes.

A similar use, and one I had more success with yesterday, was using flash outside when the subject is in deep shadow and there is bright outside light in either the foreground or background. It helps even out the exposure.

June 02, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home