LeggNets Digital Capture

Thursday, January 25, 2007

You've come a long way, Mr. Kodak


I've got several old cameras sitting around my office. Most have some family history attached to them in one way or another.

This capture is of one of the cameras, a Kodak Brownie Flash Six-20. My father received this as a graduation gift in 1950 from his grandparents. As a child, I was allowed to use this camera and I shot many rolls of film through it. It's one of the first cameras that I remember using. Given the primitive camera and my inexperience, the resulting images were hideous. But y'know, I sure wish I had those photos today.

4 Comments:

Blogger ~Michelle~ said...

Oh wouldn't it be fun to look at those photos you took so long ago?

January 25, 2007  
Blogger Genevieve Netz said...

I had a little brown Kodak that I used in a 4-H photography project in the early 1960's. It was a newer camera than the one in your photo. I don't know if it was called a Brownie or not.

I still have some of the photos from it that turned out all right. Many of my attempts were out of focus because I was trying to do close-ups of cats and flowers. (The little camera had a fixed focus, of course, but I guess I didn't understand that at the time.)

The camera that really got me hooked was my dad's Polaroid (which did have a manual focus.) My dad said I had a better eye than he did, so when he wanted a picture of one of the cattle, he'd have me take it for him. He knew I loved that camera. :)

January 26, 2007  
Blogger Julia Huntsman said...

I enjoyed your post--I was given an even simpler Brownie when I was about 5, and I do have the photos I took with it. That was around 1952-53. My brother was given one also, a slightly different model. Do you know anything about those models at that time? No flash, just push the button.

February 11, 2007  
Blogger LeggNet said...

Thanks for the comment, Julia. Unfortunately I don't have much of a knowledge on these old cameras. It sounds like the brownie model that predated the one I have. This one looks very similar but doesn't have the flash attachment.

February 13, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home