LeggNets Digital Capture

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

A Spot of Milk In Your Coffee?


Things were a bit lazy at the Legg house yesterday so I played around taking some shots of splashing liquids. This photo was made by capturing a drop of milk just after it hit a vessel of coffee. I'm amazed at how the drop bounced off of the surface of the coffee to form a tower supporting the milk orb .

The lighting and exposure on this shot were a bit tricky and, to be honest, I'm not overly pleased with the result. The milk drop is a bit blurry and the overall shot had quite a bit of digital noise (which I reduced in PhotoShop). I will have to try this again at a later date with a more powerful strobe.

I do think the sphere of milk is pretty cool, though.

7 Comments:

Blogger staceyfike said...

pretty cool looking, (i bet it would look wild rotated 180 too!)

January 02, 2007  
Blogger ~Michelle~ said...

Wow! The drop of milk looks like a pearl rising out of a chocolate lake! Nice!

January 02, 2007  
Blogger Anna said...

Have you seen this picture? http://dpchallenge.com/image.php?IMAGE_ID=440344

It's a drop of milk in coffee as well. Yours looks like an egg on a pedestal. This one looks like ... a strange flower maybe? Both look pretty cool.

January 02, 2007  
Blogger LeggNet said...

Thanks for the comments.

@anna - Yes, I did see that shot. He definitely has a better lighting system then what I used. That shot is simply amazing!

Here's a shot I did a year or so ago of some cookies & milk:

Tossed Cookies
.

January 03, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool shot Rich. Where you just using continous shooting mode to capture this? Was the flash firing?

January 03, 2007  
Blogger LeggNet said...

@Bill:

Thanks for the comment. I did this with a single shot using a flash (Canon 430EX with a LightSphere). It took many tries to time the drop with the camera. I did use a remote release to make things a bit easier.

January 03, 2007  
Blogger susanlavonne said...

I seldom use this word, but this shot is AWESOME. (as are your others!)
Inspirational too.

January 07, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home