LeggNets Digital Capture

Friday, June 30, 2006

On the Mountain


On the Mountain, originally uploaded by LeggNet.

It's been nearly a month since I've posted a B&W capture of one of my daughters, so here's a new one. I made this capture as we were climbing recently. She was patiently waiting for her turn on the rope and spontaneously looked up toward the camera as I shot this.

In addition to converting to black and white in post-processing, I added a small amount of lens blur everywhere but the face. I did this to further accentuate the sharpness and detail of the eyes. I also darkened the background area to minimize the distraction away from the subject.

2 Comments:

Blogger Old 57 said...

Very beautiful portrait. Could you please elaborate on the method you use for black and white conversion?

July 02, 2006  
Blogger LeggNet said...

"please elaborate on the method you use for black and white conversion?"

Here's my system for converting color photos to b&w Photoshop:

1. Add a new Channel Mixer adjustment layer

2. Check the Monochrome checkbox on the lower left of the channel mixer box

3. Adjust the sliders to create the black & white tone you desire. I generally make sure that all three of the sliders add up to 100%

July 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home